When life throws us a curve ball, sometimes the only thing to do is to catch it … and put it into storage. There are a number of common events in our lives when a storage unit is the ideal solution to help you deal with the situation. In fact, at Apple Self Storage we refer to them as the “6 Ds” since these are among the top reasons people use self-storage. Whatever the circumstances, Apple Self Storage can help you select the right size unit and provide the packing supplies you need.
Here are 6 events you may benefit from a self-storage unit:
No room for your old stuff in your new home? Keep or sell it with a storage unit.
Figure out what doesn’t fit
- Whether you’re going from a home to a condo or a retirement facility, you can store your extra stuff as you decide what fits and what you can’t bear to part with.
- If grandparents are moving into a retirement home, they don’t have to get rid of all their stuff. They can keep items in storage and access it as needed, or save it for when the grand-kids are ready for it.
Use as Garage
- If you no longer have a garage, put seasonal items into storage for each access such as the sea-doo, snowmobile, skis, and motor bikes.
Access at any time
- Storage units are a better choice than portable storage. Once packed, you can’t access these. Storage units let you can come and go as you please and take what you need at any time.
Flooded basements, sewer backups, fire, wind or ice damage are common disasters where you have to get your contents out of your home as quickly as possible.
- Flood warnings in your area? When there’s a chance of flooding, be sure to book your storage unit and supplies in advance as space and supplies will sell out.
Limit the Damage
- Putting your possessions into a storage unit keeps everything safe while you deal with insurance claims and repairs.
Take Inventory of Your Stuff
- It’s important to take inventory as items go into storage for the insurance claim. Make sure nothing disappears from your home during disaster-related repairs.
You may be getting divorced but you don’t have to be divorced from your stuff.
- As partners start dividing up their possessions and extracting them from the matrimonial home, a storage unit gives you a place to keep your valued stuff safe and still maintain easy access to your things.
Store Away Bulky Items
- Moving temporarily into a furnished rental? You can rent a smaller place and use a storage unit for your bigger stuff until you know your financial situation and you’re ready to buy.
Store Seasonal Items
- Put seasonal items into storage, such as golf clubs or winter clothes, so you don’t have to go to the house. Use a storage unit as your garage until you have a more permanent place to stay.
Get Valuables Out Fast
- Put treasured items that were your personal property prior to the relationship into storage to prevent them from being sold as shared assets.
Dealing with a death? Protect what’s precious by putting it into storage.
First Settle the Will
- Use Valet Boxes to put precious memories and valuables of a loved one into safe storage while the will is being settled. Ensure family members or care providers don’t pilfer items inappropriately.
Selling their house – not their stuff
- Need to declutter a house to improve its resale value? Put items quickly into a storage unit and go through it later at your own pace.
Retirement Home clean-out
- When people pass-away in a Retirement Home, you have only a few days to clear out their stuff. Use a storage unit as a quick and safe solution. A simple 5x10 unit is often enough.
Closing date delayed? Store your stuff with easy access until your new home is ready.
Bridge the Gap
- If your new home or condo isn’t going to be ready on time, or when the selling date and closing date don’t align, use a storage unit to bridge the gap. For a short term, it’s cheaper to put items into storage than it is to keep them on a moving truck.
Deliver New Items to Storage
- If you’re getting new furniture or appliances for your new home, you can shop for bargains in advance and put them into storage. Apple Self-Storage is one of the few storage companies that accepts deliveries and will put your items right into your unit. We’ll send you an email to let you know when it arrives.
Store to Sell
- Sell items you no longer want on Kijiji or other online classified sites from your storage unit. It’s safer to sell personal items from a storage locker than having someone visit your home.
Moving? If you can’t take it with you, you can still keep it safe.
- Being transferred for a new job, landlord is selling your rental property, students are coming home for the summer, or you’ve sold your business and want to travel are all common scenarios for having to make a sudden move.
- Timeshare owners at ski resorts or down south can keep their items in a storage locker for easy access whenever they visit.
Flexible Storage Rates
- If you’re not sure how long you’ll need the storage, you can take advantage of flexible storage rates. Use it for as long or as little as you want, pay for what you use, up-size or downsize units as you remove items. Storage units are pro-rated after the 1st month, so you can move out at anytime.
Looking for more tips? Check out our other blogs:
Please visit our Storage FAQ page for more information about Storage Units. Storage Units in Toronto, Halifax, and Over 30 Other Locations Across Canada. Apple Self Storage has 36 storage unit facilities across Ontario and Atlantic Canada. Our facility managers provide friendly, personalized advice to help you pick the right self storage solution. Our flexible plans offer the perfect solution for personal, student and business needs. At Apple Self Storage you can be sure satisfaction is always 100% guaranteed. For more information click here to contact us or call 1-866-417-1005 to find your storage solution today.